-->

Monday, November 17, 2008

Dainties and Stones


I have always been a bit of an entrepreneur. I would like to think I have an adventurous spirit but truthfully, I think I just bore easily and enjoy change. I think that is why I enjoy Art. If you tire of one medium you just move onto the next.

Several years ago before I picked up a paintbrush, I created with dough. Not the kind that is green and kept in banks (although that was my intention), but specifically sweet dough in the form of Scones. In 1992 I wanted to earn some extra money but still be home with my two year old son Evan (who referred to them as “stones”) . We loved to bake together and enjoyed creating all flavors of scones, jams and lemon curd and as you can imagine my family loved sampling my sweet concoctions. Someone suggested I approach the numerous Bed and Breakfasts in the Kennebunks. Most innkeepers were delighted at the idea so thus my business “Dainties” was born. I licensed my kitchen and happen to find a food scientist at the University of Maine that was intrigued. Scones and Lemon Curd weren't really well known or even available in the US market. He decided to assist me in my Cottage Industry and help make my products shelf stable for commercial distribution. This was great since it was usually thousands of dollars to hire someone to take on such a production and my husband was unemployed at the time. We worked for several months in my kitchen specifically with making the Lemon Curd shelf stable (which I decided to call Lemon Butter since most Americans associated Curds with cottage cheese and had a most unappealing expression at the mention of Lemon Curd) . Unfortunately, a disastrous personal matter took this scientist away literally overnight with a move to Atlanta, Ga., and basically curtailed the project.

I never regretted giving the idea a try as you always gain some insight in the process. I only wish we had the capital to follow the idea to fruition because within a few years scones were literally popping up everywhere in cafes, bakeries, and on shelves as mixes in grocery stores. So I think we really were onto something. My son, however was thrilled to have his Mommy back full time and truthfully all the money in the world wouldn't give me the pleasure I received when making “stones” with him.

(
for kicks ~ click on the photo to zoom in on my "menu" )

1 comment:

LeaKarts said...

What a fantastic story! I'm glad it worked out well in the end, even though it didn't go as planned. It sounds like a wonderful experience. And it makes me a little hungry, too ;)