-->

Friday, January 16, 2009

Fabulous Friday Food Feature

I love coffee, I love tea...sounds like the words to a song. But seriously I do love coffee and tea, specifically Chai tea. Well let me get more specific - Chai Latte. Chai is black tea, steeped in milk and flavored with wonderful spices as well as sweetened with sugar or honey. I recently picked up a huge box of "Tea India" from my favorite local Indian restaurant, Jewel of India. I asked them how they created theirs, as it is soooo yummy, and they were good enough to share the spices they use. I experimented a bit and came up with my own Chai recipe. Not quite as good as Jewel of India's but good enough for me. And we know there is always room for improvement, so feel free to share your chai recipes with me.



Chai Latte
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup of half and half
2 teaspoons black tea (only black tea will do)
1-2 sticks of cinnamon (I love cinnamon)
1 cardomom pod
2 whole cloves
1/2 piece of star anise
1 tsp fresh chopped ginger
6 tsp. sugar (or to taste)
Put water and half-n-half in saucepan. Add the tea and spices (I use a large strainer ball and I crush all the spices together on a cutting board before I add them to the strainer with the tea. You could also add it all to water as is and strain at the end). Cover, turn heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring continuously. It is apparently import not to rush this part of the tea making ritural, as the amount of time taken for the process of water, milk, tea, and spices to blend and simmer is important. Add sugar to taste and serve immediately. I have this gaget frother (from Ikea) that I use after I have poured it into the cup to create a bit of creme on the top like a latte. Enjoy!
You could also go over to this website that has a variety of recipes for Chai :

6 comments:

Tiedupmemories said...

OOhh sounds wondeful! I love the celestial seasonings honey vanilla chai! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

yippeevintage said...

Mmmm... sounds delicious! Fresh ginger too? I definitely have to try this for myself. Thanks for sharing :)

Sara Libbey's Jewelry said...

oh I must try this! It sounds wonderful and Chai is one of my favs!

Almay Alday said...

I love chai tea lattes! My mom always says Tai chi latte because it all sounds the same to her! Ha!

Malene said...

Sound yummy! Nice picture too!

EnglishCottageRose said...

thankyou for the post on my blog. If you like sugar cookies, please try this recipe, it is very good. I will be listing a recipe for another wonderful cookie in the next couple of weeks, please check back. Your blog is beautiful, thanks for the share, Char