-->

Monday, January 5, 2009

“A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song.” Maya Angelou


In addition to some lovely earrings, my husband gave me a couple of bird-feeders for Christmas. He knows how much I love watching birds. I have always admired the color, variety and their seemingly distinctive personalities. Several bird feeders are directly outside my studio window and I love watching them repeatedly flying from the trees to the feeders throughout the short Maine winter days. There are chickadees, finches, the tufted titmouse, nuthatches, and cardinals providing inspiration and entertainment as I work. I envy their gift of flight and even as a child, I would love watching them as I lay on my back in a field of tall grass, wishing I could join them in their travels and head south each winter. Even now, I would love to take flight to warmer climates and escape the coldest months of January and February. But alas, for now I will endure for a few more years. I feel fortunate that we have the bright sun and blue skies on most winter days. And it is certainly quieter in the depths of winter without all the tourists which flock to this seacoast village in the summer, like seagulls to the shore. I guess for now I need to view the world like the birds in a poem from one of my favorite children's author, Shel Silverstein. Yes, I suppose presently I am content to be "the only bird in town" and perhaps am a "weird bird" after all.

Weird-Bird by Shel Silverstein

Birds are flyin' south for winter.
Here's the Weird-Bird headin' north,
Wings a-flappin', beak a-chatterin',
Cold head bobbin' back 'n' forth.
He says, "It's not that I like ice
Or freezin' winds and snowy ground.
It's just sometimes it's kind of nice
To be the only bird in town."

If you are a bird lover, please check out this site: http://redesign.birds.cornell.edu/
and this one for creating a "bird friendly" environment in your backyard: http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/attracting



12 comments:

Angie said...

Chickadee! :)

Denise said...

Yes - Chickadee - The Maine State Bird!

Krazy Kate Designs said...

Beautiful pics!

hmstrjam said...

i love these little chickadees, nice parisian artwork!

kim* said...

oh my goodness those birdies!

SleightGirl said...

Great post! I love birds and I love Shel Silverstein! If I had a yard, I would definitely buy some bird feeders.

fookaDESIGNS said...

Great post! Oh how I wish I could fly to a warmer climate...LOL. Since you love birds you may be interested in my free giveaway this month..."Southbound". http://fookaDESIGNS.blogspot.com

Diane said...

Denise, wonderful photos!
Diane

yippeevintage said...

That quote by Maya Angelou is wonderful! Your photos are beautiful and that poem? It's comforting, somehow, to know that I'm not the only wierd-bird out there :) I really enjoy your writing style and your lovely blog... thank you for sharing ~ Angela

CarDon said...

Thanks Denise, we love birds too!! We even have our own birdy park :)

Mia Of Mia's Graphic Designs said...

Beautiful pics! And he's so cute! :)

TheresaJ said...

What lovely gifts for your husband to give you, and what lovely photos. Loved this post!