-->

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day 2009

Reuters photo/Jim Young

Today is an important day. Inauguration Day 2009. Mr. Obama will be inaugurated as the 44th president of the United States. But this is not just a day for our new President. It is a day for all of us. A day where we can continue our efforts to come together as a country. To look at who we are as a people and as Americans look ahead to where we are going. What will be our future as a nation?

America - a wonderfully diverse and varied group of individuals. Are we perfect - no. But we do, I personally believe, strive. We strive as a people who for the most part uphold the same ideals. The ideals I am referring to are Autonomy, Sovereignty, Freedom and Independence, Liberty, Justice and Tolerance - ideals which ignited our nation and continue to drive its success and its quest for unity. We may have varying opinions and ways of expressing thoughts on those ideals. We are too often divided by political parties, gender, race, creed .... but perhaps by moving forward together as one nation, we can bridge these gaps.

My hope of our future is that we focus on how we are similar, what brings us together as Americans. All that we are, should transcend that which we are not. We are at a sort of crossroads. The problems we face as a nation are our problems, not just the governments to solve. We need to do our part, as individuals of this nation and take responsibility in our individual lives, so we can all move forward together. I am very hopeful of Mr Obama's vision and wish him and his family great blessings, strength, success, health, happiness and peace.

10 comments:

Ripper Arts said...

I am going to refer to your post in my blog post today. I love how you say what you say in the last paragraph! Inspiring indeed.

Nancy said...

We can only hope and Obama has given us a great start in inspiring us to believe that we can be a better people! I have faith.

Claire said...

Very profound and heartfelt. I have much hope today not just because of Obama, but because of thoughtful people like you.

LeaKarts said...

You put what I have been feeling all day (well, for much for than a day, but especially today) so eloquently!

sassyglassdesigns said...

The man is inspiring and exudes confidence; I hope he can help our country.

Jan said...

Beautifully articulated post! I completely agree!

I am hopeful that President Obama will bring about great positive changes for our country.

He is one of the most inspiring leaders I've seen in a very long time.

Ophelia Miller Boutique said...

Well said. I'm inspired too and also feel that "yes we can" make our country better.

Jennifer MacNeill-Traylor said...

What a great blog post! I am so excited and inspired by our new president, his family and all the people in his new administration.
Thank you also for the comment you left me on the Etsy forum about blogging about Obama.
Jennifer

TheresaJ said...

Well said!

BlueTerracotta said...

Well said! Especially the part about the problems being everyone's and not just the governement's to solve! Yes!