-->

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Thursday Thinking Green ~ DIY Household Cleaner

I don't love housecleaning but we all know it is one of those necessary tasks in life. I particularly don't care for cleaning bathrooms. So, this weeks blog post is a recipe for a safer alternative to hazardous cleaning products for the bathroom. This recipe uses simple household products you probably have in your pantry, which makes it both economical and eco-friendly.

This recipe is found on one of my favorite "Green" websites - National Geographic's ~ "The Green Guide". Check out their website for more practical information and ideas. You can also subscribe to their newsletter on their website. (click on photo to be taken to website- Photograph by Alec Hemer for Coastal Living )


Toilet Bowl

Baking soda
White vinegar

To clean and deodorize, sprinkle toilet bowl with baking soda, add white vinegar and scrub with a toilet brush.

Tub and Tile
1/2 lemon
Borax

Dip the face of the lemon half in borax to create a hand-held scrubber for dirty areas. Rinse and dry the surface afterwards.

10 comments:

Ripper Arts said...

Very cool! It'd be interesting to see/try. TFS!

Kath said...

Interesting cleaning hints. I can't deal with the chemicals since I had asthmatic bronchitis several years ago, so I make my husband clean them...how's that for a tip? lol
Thanks for visiting my blog...glad to help, lol Kath

Ophelia Miller Boutique said...

I'm about to clean the bathroom, I'll give them a try. Thanks for the tips!!!

The Pink Bird House said...

Bathroom cleaning is definitely high on my list of chores that I dislike, but seems that none of us can get around having to do it. So thanks for these great tips on natural cleaning products. Loved it! I especially like the idea of the lemon half with borax as a scrubber! Who would have thought! Debby

Tiedupmemories said...

Thanks for the tips! I'm always using clorox but I have headaches for days!
Tracy

Meekiyu said...

that sounds simple and definitely better then all those chemical ridden things we use nowadays. I'm not sure if my family has Borax hmm... =/

Carol/CMK Sculputures said...

great tips, I will try them out.

yippeevintage said...

I like your new background, Denise :) and I love these tips! There are chemical cleaners available for anything under the sun but natural, simple products can usually do the trick. Baking soda is great as a natural scrubbing agent... I will have to try it with lemon ~ I'll bet that combo works like a charm!

Priscila said...

im going to have to try those! I love the color of the bathroom...soo relaxing

hello !! i'm cathy from said...

THANKS! I've been looking for recipes like this! Great information.