-->

Monday, February 9, 2009

Monday Musings ~ A Dog's Perspective

America has more pet dogs than any other country on earth. We love our dogs! The 133rd Westminster Dog Show begins today at Madison Square Garden in NYC. I have to admit I am not into "beauty pageants" but do enjoy watching shows that feature dogs, albeit, I do think this show can sometimes take itself much to seriously for me. But maybe not. Maybe in light of last years winner, Uno, the beagle, my views may change. Uno, was the first beagle to ever win in the 132 years of the Westminster Dog show. Uno was obviously the crowd favorite probably because of his spirited personality and status as "underdog".

Our first dog was a beagle, Lizzy. She was my then 10 year old son, Evan's, dog. She was loving and loyal to him until she passed on two years ago. Although she had severe Epilepsy, she was a spunky girl - always getting into mischief, and it usually involved food. We have many funny stories as a result of her presence in our lives and my son will always have those memories to cherish of "his best friend".

We have since adopted two Shetland Sheepdogs from a Sheltie Rescue. Cori has been with us for about 8 months and Lucky has been with us for almost two years. Cori is a Sable, oversized Sheltie and Lucky is a Tri-colored Sheltie. Both have distinctively unique personalities. Cori is a mellow, laid back Princess, who is very well mannered, loves winter and playing in the snow. Lucky is a "working dog". Always trying to herd anything he can and frequently at my side. He is a bit more on the playful, active side and loves to" sing" with my husband and sons. Having dogs certainly does enrich ones life and teaches us much about unconditional love, loyalty and trust.
The 10 Commandments from a Dog's Perspective
  1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be very painful.
  2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.
  3. Place your trust in me―it's crucial to my well-being.
  4. Don't be angry with me for long, and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment. I have only you.
  5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice.
  6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.
  7. Before you hit me, remember that I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in your hand, but I choose not to bite you.
  8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I've been out in the sun too long or my heart may be getting old.
  9. Take care of me when I get old. You, too, will grow old.
  10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, "I can't bear to watch it" or "Let it happen in my absence." Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, I love you.

―Author unknown

10 comments:

Tiedupmemories said...

Aww How sweet! I love the dog commandments! Thanks for sharing! Loved the photos of the dogs! Beautiful!
Tracy

Glitzer said...

As a dog owner, I cant agree more to the dog commandments!!!

The dogs are beautiful!

LeaKarts said...

Sweet doggies :) I love all of your photos!

Belua Designs said...

Your dogs are so beautiful!! and the dog commandments are so true, thanks for sharing them:)

Randomocity said...

Thank you for sharing that! Indeed, we only borrower them for a brief time in our lives-they should be cherished ;)

LeelaBijou said...

I really love your dogs, so sweet and beautiful :)

The Pink Bird House said...

Loved the pictures of your dogs. How pretty! Your Lucky looks much like my Cody, and loves to herd things, just like our Cody! Thank you so much for sharing the 10 commandments for dogs, I just had to cry when I read them! I passed them on to my daughter, who is a dog/animal lover like me. She reads anything about animals that comes into her hands. A lovely post, and those 2 dogs are very lucky to have become part of your family!! Have a good day. Debby

"Ice Pony Girl" said...

Sweet! Cute dogs!

jujulee said...

how fun, thanks for sharing.

How do you keep 5 etsy shops going??????? WOW!!!!!
http://jujulee.etsy.com

hollyzhobby said...

That is so nice. I love the expressions on your dogs faces. So sweet.