-->

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Thursday Thinking Green ~ Recycled Crayons

When my sons were younger they were both into "saving the planet". We were always looking for ways to Recycle. They knew that recycling went beyond paper and glass. We were big on Upcycling way before it became a trendy term. One craft we enjoyed was turning old crayons into new Funky Shaped new ones. We had a great time creating these for birthday parties and holiday gifts.

Creating new crayons is easy. All you need to start off is a collection of old, broken crayons. Here are the steps:

1. Preheat the oven to 150°F. First you take off the wrappers and place them into piles by similar color, by complimentary (purples and yellows, reds and greens, blues and oranges), or by whatever moves you.

2. Break them down into smaller pieces. My sons, like typical boys, loved whacking the crayons in a zip lock with my wooden mallet. This makes it easier to put into the decorative molds or muffin tins.

3. You can find tins with all kinds of novelty shapes these days. You can line them with tin foil or foil baking cups, and place your crayon pieces in the molds or simply place in tins if you are only using them for crayons.We had dedicated tins we only used for crayons.

4. Place the tins in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or just until the crayons have melted. Take the tins out of the oven to cool.

FYI ~ Interesting Facts About Crayola Crayons

  • A national poll in 1993 revealed blue and red are the most popular crayon colors.
  • After coffee and peanut butter, the scent of a crayon is the third most recognizable scent.
  • On average, a child uses 730 crayons by their 10th birthday!

Oh and if you have a few minutes and would like to know how Crayola crayons are made, check out this video: "How are Crayons are made?." HowStuffWorks.com.

12 comments:

BarkerBell Herbs and Heirlooms said...

I have been saving bits and pieces of my boys broken crayons for awhile now. Thanks for the tutorial! I can just see the gleam in their eyes as your boys whacked the ziploc bags full of crayons. Mine will probably do something similar.

Tam

shannon said...

That's a nice tutorial.

yippeevintage said...

What a fun project! I do love the nostalgic scent of a crayon... especially when mingled with the aroma of a fresh drawing pad :)

Shimmermeblue said...

This is such a great idea! My youngest would have a blast if I actually 'let' him beat on stuff lol.

Cathy from Wire and Wool said...

You wouldn't believe, I actually COLLECT old crayons, I have some pretty old ones. Crayons have a very rich history and sometimes a bit controversial!
Thanks for sharing!
Cathy

Krazy Kate Designs said...

Thank you! You just gave me our project for the day with my grandson. He's gonna love this.

Cottage In The Sun said...

Oh, we did this once when my oldest two were little, I will have to try it again with my "baby!" Thanks for the great instructions!

Kim said...

what fun! I'm excited to try this out!

Olitopia said...

Who doesn't love the smell of a box of crayons?!

Great post!

Tins and Treasures said...

Thank you for sharing...I have two ice cream buckets full of crayons for the girls' old school boxes.

thechromologist said...

Wow, I've never heard of this! I'm really interested in giving it a try--now to find some old crayons, hm haha. Ps. I know one of your sons who is still into "saving the planet" ;0)

Jen**SugaredSongbird** said...

Great idea for old crayons! We have PLENTY of them here.