-->

Monday, March 30, 2009

Monday Musings ~ Spring "Nesting"

The calendar tells us Spring is officially here. With the changing of the seasons I always seem to get the "nesting" instinct. It seems to be an inherent part of my personality and a creative outlet for me. In the past I have often made seasonal changes in my home by changing the function of rooms. My husband jokes that I do this to keep him on his toes. I admit when life redefines itself outside, I crave change in my indoor environment as well. The rearranging and recreating allows a new perspective in my living space, and often leads to inspiration in my life.

In this economy, we're not always able to make the more expensive changes like painting, new furniture or even purchasing new home decorative items. This is when the concept of redecorating works especially well. I have always personally enjoyed the challenge of creating with an "upcycled" state of mind. In using what you have, whether furniture or home decorative pieces taken from another room in your home, you get that new, fresh look, save money and accumulate less!

I tend to create new vignettes each year and rarely repeat the same thing, yet do use many of the "same" items. It's all in how you combine and display. My husband and I love books and have quite a collection. Books can be a great way to add that finishing touch to an arrangement. Another inexpensive touch are plants. I usually purchase a small pot of violets, primroses, hydrangeas or herbs to use inside in the Spring and replant in the garden once the weather allows. Another green that is easy to plant yet looks great is a container of grass. Grass seed is very inexpensive and a little goes a long way. We always have patches in the yard that need to be touched up, so we often have a bag of seed around. (I buy it in the fall on clearance and save for the next year). When my children were younger we would plant grass in a larger container, placing our dyed eggs and other spring creations for a sweet Easter vignette (and more often became the Easter Dinner centerpiece). If you have a cat you can keep him/her happy by planting wheat grass.

Today I will share with you just a few things I have done this year in a few rooms of my home.
This is a spot near my phone. The little chick with a boa was a gift to myself a few years back to remind me not to take life too seriously. The handmade, painted wooden box holds pencils and pens.

We always have a bowl that is our "catch-all" by the door for keys and such. I love this blue and white bowl with a hopping rabbit motif. The perfect whimsy for Spring!






I always have candles on the kitchen table. I especially like this glass globe I found last year in the clearance section of TJ Maxx (a favorite store). It has a separate, recessed place for the candle which allows you to change the natural elements seasonally. ( I Love these tiny shells. Ok I realize it is more of a summer theme, but I need the reminder that warmer weather is coming).

Below is a oil painting that hangs above my stove given to me by a friend, paired with a bit of French flair (I love a lamp in the kitchen area - cozy feel to it's golden glow in the evening). The Raku pottery behind the lamp was a piece my son created that I especially treasure.
Now we are going into the living room where we have built in bookcases with a window seat (a favorite spot for my dog). Here is a collection of pottery from places traveled and gifts given to us over the years - I love the "en masse" effect. The iron garden piece against the back anchors the arrangement.





I love this bookend of a very shabby chic rabbit doing his job well. (ok, I admit I have a thing for rabbits).



Lastly I share with you a "piece" of a vignette on the mantel of my fireplace. I enjoy smaller scale items and love the tiny bundle of Lavender.
I hope you have enjoyed my photos and a slice of my home. As mentioned most of the items I have had for many years and simply regroup them seasonally. I often store items "off season" in a storage cabinet in my basement and when the nesting instinct strikes I dig deep within the cabinet and into my creative psyche to follow my muse and see what inspiration strikes. Happy Spring!

By the way, I found I enjoyed creating vignettes so much that I just launched a new shop on Etsy called Seasonal Vignettes. Feel free to click on the hyperlink and stop by!

7 comments:

the 6 o'clock stitch said...

I am notorious for rearranging on a regular basis. When my husband walks in the door and sees the couch on the opposite side of the living room, he knows he won't be able to find anything for weeks.

Gaston Studio said...

Each vignette is so sweet but I especially love that plant above the lavendar!

Krazy Kate Designs said...

Lovely, lovely! what an inspiration.

TheClayMuse said...

What a great idea for the shop! Wish you the best of luck in this new endeavor!
Love stopping by, thanks for the glimpse into your home, very lovely!

The Clever Pup said...

Cool. I call these vignettes my "tableaus".

I was directed here from your wondeful profile. We have a lot in common, although I'm not sure my profile reflects that.

You and your husband look like a wonderful couple. Congratulations.

starrynightimpressions said...

lovvvve seeing bits of your lovely home! I do the same as you, put things away (i have a separate studio outside) for a season or two and then when I'm ready to change things I have a stash of "seems new stuff".
blessings,
starrydeborah

MaШenka said...

You have a super cozy house, thank you so much for sharing, I truly enjoyed my "visit" :)