-->

Monday, April 6, 2009

Monday Musings ~ Spring Cleaning Feng Shui Style

This week I continue "Spring Cleaning" in my home. I would like to incorporate a bit of Feng Shui in our bedroom space. Feng Shui (pronounced fung shway), is a term composed of two Chinese words: feng (wind) and shui (water) . When thinking of wind and water, think of flow. Simply put, it is the ancient Chinese art of object placement in ones environment in a way that enhances the quality of our lives. Practitioners believe that by arranging our furnishings and decor in a way that aligns with nature, we draw harmony and good health into our lives. The theory being that the physical environment affects us physically, as well as emotionally. Following this thinking, clutter, disarray and unnecessary items can drain the “chi” (life energy) right out of you! The goal is to rid ourselves of unnecessary clutter and to surround yourself with items you love. The belief is also that by removing the clutter from your physical environment it can help you remove your "emotional clutter" as well. Every closet, drawer, and shelf cleared and organized, creates more room for balance and new experiences in our lives.
Bedrooms are for resting, rejuvenation and expressing love, all which contribute to our overall health and joy. So as we embark on cleaning and recreating our environment with these principles we could ask ourselves the following questions -

  • Do I absolutely love it?
  • Do I need it?
  • Do I have another one?
  • If it is broken, will I fix it?
  • Is there someone who would treasure this or could use it now?

After we rid ourselves of clutter, we can try out a few Feng Shui enhancements:

  • Use soothing color that help create an environment that is relaxing and calming.
  • Vary the lighting and don't forget the candles.
  • Bedrooms are sanctuaries for privacy, peace, protection and intimacy. Placing objects in pairs in this room is thought to increase marital harmony and balance (candle, vases, lamps, bedside tables, etc). Be sure to place the bed in the position that has the most commanding view of the doorway (which is considered the mouth of Chi).
  • TV's, computers, and exercise equipment can hinder your rest. If they are present, it is suggested they somehow be covered. (I need to work on this one - we have a treadmill and TV in our bedroom). Here are just a few suggestions I personally hope to work. I am all for clearing my life of excess. I always feel a great boost of energy and contentment when I do so. I am left with a true sense of renewal, which is apropos for Spring!

5 comments:

Celina said...

I like the "if it breaks will I fix I fix it" idea. I think you have just revolutionized my spring cleaning! Lol!

Gaston Studio said...

Am well aware of fen shui but have never incorporated it into my world. Am pretty well organized but have always thought it would help to 'clear out inner clutter.'
Good luck to you!

Hypnotransformations said...

Great post! Inspires me to get cleaning. I've also heard to only use your bedroom for sleep. ex: don't read or eat or write in your bedroom. Only use it for sleeping.

Kelsey said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and the comment about my daughter! She is a ham. :) You have a great looking blog with very interesting reads!

Southern Lady's Vintage said...

When you get finished there, I need you to come rescue me!