-->

Friday, May 29, 2009

Fabulous Friday Food Feature ~ Plant a Row for the Hungry

Since 1995, American gardeners have donated over 14 million pounds of herbs and vegetables to feed the hungry in our local neighborhoods and communities.

Launched in 1995, Plant A Row is a public service program of the Garden Writers Association and the GWA Foundation. All gardeners are encouraged to plant an extra row of produce and donate this to local food banks, soup kitchens and shelters. There are over 84 million households with a yard or garden in the U.S. If every gardener plants one extra row of vegetables and donates this to local food agencies and soup kitchens, a significant impact can be made on reducing hunger. Check with your local food pantry, soup kitchen or homeless shelter to donate part of your harvest and reduce hunger in your community.

4 comments:

Audrey said...

We do the "plant a row" in Canada too. I plant a row every year, sometimes two rows. Why Not? I think it's a great idea.

Kala Pohl Studio said...

Wow, love the Plant a Row program, wonderful idea for giving back:):)

Christie Cottage said...

I saw a PBS special on this. What a wonderful concept!

LillyShayStyle said...

Wow, I'd never heard of this, but what a wonderful idea! It's too bad not EVERYONE will get involved.
I wish I had a yard :( Someday, when I have my own yard I will do this gladly.