-->

Friday, June 26, 2009

Friday ~ My Town Shoot Out - Colors of the Rainbow

All photos by Denise Dion-Sullivan

"The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched" Henry David Thoreau

I am excited to have joined a worldwide bloggers photo group called the "Friday My Town Shoot Out". This group was started by Patty and Reggie Girl. Each week the participants are encouraged to show off photos of their part of the world with a particular theme in mind. The idea is to share with others, what their hometown has to offer through the eyes of a camera lens. Visit other participating bloggers by clicking on the camera at the left of my blog with the title "Friday Shoot Out" (the participant list is on the left hand side of the official Friday Shoot Out Blog).

This weeks theme is from Deborah of The Pink BirdHouse ~ "Colors of the Rainbow" (the above photo was shot across the street from my home after a passing summer rain).


Red, Red....Strawberries! Strawberry season is upon us! It has been raining all week but despite the weather, I am hoping to get out to the fields soon and pick a couple of quarts of luscious berries for a pie. I took this photo at a favorite local place called Patten's Farm Stand.


Orange ~ a lovely display of Apricots at Patten's Farm Stand in Kennebunkport.

For yellow I decided I would feature the most photographed house in the State of Maine - the Wedding Cake House. The Wedding Cake House was a name applied to this lovely brick Federal-styled home that has a wedding cake-like appearance. Legend developed that George W. Bourne, a busy sea captain, had done elaborate carpentry work to atone for not having taken his bride, Jane, on a proper honeymoon.

There is much green in Maine, especially with all the rain we have had this month! I decided to feature Pine Trees as Maine is the "pine tree state". Here is a photo of Holmes Tree Farm, where we cut our Christmas Tree each year. Every time I drive by in the summer, I can't help but scan the fields for the perfect Christmas tree for the coming year. The trees look so different without the weight of the snow!

The deep blue sky and gorgeous blue water of Kennebunk Beach is what keeps me in this cold Northern climate!
Maine is the largest producer of wild blueberries in the world. I know they are called "blue" berries but we all know they are truly indigo! (ok - Maine blueberries don't come out for another month but here are some lovely ones from NJ at Pattens Farm Stand).
In the late Spring and early Summer, there is variety of color from the Maine Lupine dotting both the seacoast and countryside. The Maine Lupine has been a source of inspiration for artists throughout the state. The violet hue is a favorite of mine and is so magical as it can complement and enliven nearly any color scheme - in or outside the home!
all photos by Denise Dion-Sullivan

27 comments:

Katie said...

gorgeous photos! can anyone join in on this? sounds like fun!

Hollyrocks said...

I love the rainbow of photos. They are all so beautiful, thanks for showing them off to us!

Zaroga said...

Great photos! I enjoyed them very much.

Kerri said...

Great photos. The wedding cake house is quite an amazing display of yellow. Thanks for stopping by my post today!

Audrey said...

Fantastic pictures! I love them all, but especially the strawberries and the blueberries - perhaps because they are my favorite fruits! Welcome to the Shoot Out gang! It is a lot of fun - you will really enjoy it.

Ellisa said...

how fun. What a great way of doing the theme.

GingerV said...

wild blueberries, lucky girl. isn't nature wonderful, it repeats and repeats its themes of color. good job, I will look forward to following your blog.

yippeevintage said...

Your photos are wonderful, Denise :) What a luscious rainbow!

Doreen said...

I think you have covered every color of the rainbow and made me hungry to boot! :-) welcome to the Friday Shoot Out Gang. this weeks assignment has been so much fun! awesome post!!

LillyShayStyle said...

All that fruit looks so yummy!
I love the group idea :)
And I would gladly skip a honeymoon to have a house like that! :)

Mildred said...

Thanks for your visit. I sure enjoyed your beautiful, colorful photography this Friday. Who wouldn't love that wedding cake house, except the person who has to keep it painted! I just did a post on tasty blueberries and a good cookie recipe. Hope you have a great weekend.

The Pink Birdhouse said...

Denise, I am THRILLED to see that you have joined the gang!! Your photos for this shoot out are just great, the rainbow of course a spectacular bonus shot!! All that lovely colorful fruit, it is just sooo summer! I just know that you will have great fun with the weekly assignments, I was so happy to become a part of it all!! Debby

Pauline said...

I just love your delicious fruity shots, Denise. Lovely!

Linda said...

I love the wedding cake house. The name fits so perfectly! The photos of your fruit look absolutely delicious! You have captured the essence of rainbows!
You have picked all of the subjects that put a rainbow of the senses in our brains. Welcome to the photo shoot out and have a beautiful summer weekend. lol

Martha said...

Great shoot-out Denise! You stopped by my place and left a comment but you missed my actual shoot-out entry (I know it was confusing because I posted another colorful photo right after). Here's my actual shoot-out entry...
http://meandering-martha.blogspot.com/2009/06/friday-my-town-shoot-out-colors.html

Natalie said...

Ah,Denise ~ so,so lovely.Thank You.xx♥

Jen said...

absolutely gorgeous. Maine is a dream vacation of mine, and I think I need to make it a reality.

Patty said...

First of all, welcome to our shoot out.

Secondly, I love Maine. It is my favorite state. I used to do a lot of assignments up your way.

I love your photos. They make me want to jump in the car and head north.

Great colors of the rainbow you presented us with today. I hope no one saw me licking my screen trying to get a taste of those blueberries. We have good strawberries here, but nothing beats the taste of Maine blueberries!

Have a super weekend.

Vitamin B-Lardo said...

Beautiful photos....beautiful blogs.

Barry said...

Your photos are not only beautiful, they are positively delicious!

Jama said...

Those fruits look so fresh and yummy! now you got me craving for some strawberries!

Sandra Leigh said...

You even have a real rainbow! And those blueberries made my mouth water. Congratulations on a lovely post.

Butler and Bagman said...

Perfect rainbow -- one of those rainbows where you can actually see it hit the ground and go find the pot of gold. Congratulations on your new riches! Ah well...I used to want to find the end of the rainbow until I finally realized that a rainbow doesn't really exist except as an illusion from millions of tiny water prisms that our brains put together into what we think is a shape...sort of like we do with pixels in a digital photograph.

Gordon said...

Such gushing comments you get about your photos! They are all deserved. I am also, impressed with your commentary.
Welcome to the shoot-outs.

Tins and Treasures said...

Your photography is beautiful...and your state is now on my list of places to visit...Thanks for sharing the pics. ~Natalie

Barbara Jacksier said...

I've always loved that yellow house. It ALMOST convinced me to paint my blue house yellow.

Melissa said...

enjoyed ur entry