-->

Monday, June 29, 2009

Monday Musings ~ Mama, Don't take my Kodachrome Away

On June 22, 2009 Eastman Kodak Corporation officially announced the retirement of Kodachrome film. Due to celebrate it's 75th anniversary next year, Kodachrome had been the film of choice for amateur as well as professional photographers for many years. Unfortunately, according to the Kodak website, sales have fallen steadily to the point where Kodachrome accounted for less than 1% of the company's total sales of picture films. Even though I am now a fan of digital, I remember using the slide film for photo classes in high school and college. Because of it's place as a photographic icon in pop-culture history, I thought it apropos to pay this tribute here today:




Links:
A Tribute to KODACHROME: A Photography Icon

6 comments:

whimsicalpam said...

Great post! and very interesting.
Everyday it seems that world is set on showing me one more thing that says, "You're getting old!!":)

Audrey said...

I haven't thought about film for a long time. It's funny how something new comes along and the old is forgotten, well, my grandma remembers everything from when she was little and doesn't understand anything new - so someone is still remembering the "old" stuff.

BeesAndTrees said...

It's sad to see something iconic like Kodachrome being taken out of production. Probably the decline in sales is because it's so expensive to get slide film developed and a lot of places won't cross process now (developing slide film as regular negative film).

Siobhan said...

I know what song is going to be stuck in my head all day.

BarkerBell Herbs and Heirlooms said...

Thank you for this post! I was sad to read about the loss of Kodachrome last week. Although I don't shoot film often, it was a great option to have available, esp. for the juried arts shows that still require slides.

LillyShayStyle said...

Wow, I've never really thought about film before. The popularity of digi cams is putting film companies out of business...It is kind of sad.