-->

Friday, July 17, 2009

Friday My Shoot Out - Yard Objects

The Friday Shoot Out theme this week is by Noe Noe girl entitled "Yard Objects". (click on the camera in the right column of my blog for list of participants). Hmmm - what do I see around my hometown....join me down this winding pathway into my backyard...I love nature. One of my favorite natural elements are rocks. They are so varied and have a wonderful sculptural quality to them (and often can be found for free). I often use them in the landscape around our home.

This painted rock was a Mother's Day gift from my younger son, Evan.


Belgian blocks with creeping thyme delineate spaces around the patio. I love collecting "heart rocks" from a local beach and have them scattered around my garden beds.
I have always loved rabbits (we used to have a "'house rabbit"). This plaque is a tribute to my furry little friends.
I love rusting metal. Here is a iron tea-light holder.





















Since we live on the coast of Maine I have a few garden icons that are a tribute to the sea.
My husband's Grandfather was a New York City Harbor Pilot. This vintage buoy is from the Hudson River, is solid copper and has a wonderful weathered patina to it.













This black buoy bell, has a wonderful sound and is our "Maine Scarecrow" in the vegetable garden.
A stone birdbath repurposed as a planter.

25 comments:

Natalie said...

Your yard has a magical feel about it, Denise. Lovely......

Audrey said...

What a lovely, calm yard! I'm with you on the rocks - I am quite fascinated by them. I really enjoyed the walk through your garden. Lovely!

The Catnap Cottage said...

How Beautiful!! - I got painted rocks too from my kids - thanks for sharing and have a great weekend!!

Kerry said...

That painted rock is adorable, and the natural rocks are lovely. I bet creeping thyme would grow here n Oregon, maybe I'll try it.

T said...

How lovely! You made me realize I had more in my yard than I realized....just needed to look down more!

AtHomeWithSewSuzanne said...

Beautiful shots!! I always love your pictures! My girls are also rock collectors, bringing them home from everywhere we go!

Butler and Bagman said...

What a fascinating yard you have! I'll bet the painted rock is a treasure for you!

Ellisa said...

beautiful garden! I would love to spend time there with some tea.

Vitamin B-Lardo said...

I love the painted rock!!

Sarah said...

Oh I looove your garden and all the treasures!! The heart rocks - I really liked them - what a fun idea!!!
Great set of shots!!! Sarah

Kerri said...

I love rocks too! The painted rock is such a great present.

Chef E said...

I am so envious of yards like this...I miss my gardens back home in Texas...will be working on one this coming year when we buy a house!

Beautiful pieces you have presented...I sit here in awww...

Oh and my 'real' FSO is posted now...

Melissa said...

very nice :)

Mary said...

I really admire how you use meaningful things to you to make your yard unique. I didn't know heart rocks were so common and I have a bell that my cousin made which looks similar to your buoy bell. I wonder how he came up with it in Nebraska?

GingerV said...

it looks like your yard is an extension of your home...as it should be, very nice well thought out objects.

Doreen said...

you have a beautiful yard full of wonderful objects. great post!

Sarah Lulu said...

I like painted rocks too!

Jama said...

You have such a wonderful yard, my favorite picture is the heart shape stone and that iron tea candle holder!

Carrie said...

Very nice! My mom collects heart shaped rocks as well, here on the Pacific Ocean!

Chele said...

This post had such a sense of sweetness about it.

Jen said...

Wow, I love all these objects...the mariner's bell in particular.

Maine is a state I dream about visiting.

The Pink Birdhouse said...

Great job on the photos for this week's subject of Yard Objects. What fascinating things you have in your yard. About all I have in my yard are a few chickens, weeds, the mess that the dog made while chewing sticks, and m daughter's small green house. A good thing my camera is still on vacation with my daughter in the states, cuz I would have shamed myself with photos of what finds in this yard of mine!! :-) ciao, Debby

Gordon said...

What's that kid doing standing in the bushes. Is he on restriction?
Great garden! Great post!

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Wonderful yard Denise! I love the way you have things "hiding" !

Zaroga said...

Wonderful yards objects... I enjoyed looking at each one :-)