-->

Friday, July 3, 2009

Friday - My Town Shoot Out ~ Celebrate Life!!

This weeks theme "Celebrate Life", was chose by Doreen from Michigan. Visit her blog at "Little Pockets of Happiness". Here is a look around my hometown.

It has been raining non-stop (or so it seems) since the beginning of June. Needless to say it is very green outside but lacking in color. Most flowers need sun and I am craving color! Looking at my backyard landscape, I was pondering what I would feature for this weeks theme - "Celebrate Life" and this is what I came up with:

Here is a flowering climbing hydrangea. This plant is probably about 8 years old and has never flowered but has managed to climb the birch tree in front of my home. I was thrilled this year when I saw the bits of white, lacy flowers complimenting the lovely white birch. Now if only
I could see flowers appear on this wisteria plant about the same age. Growing like crazy but still no flowers :(



















Here is the garden bench that is under the tree with the hydrangea. As you can see lichens have taken over. I know I should clean it but I am strange in that way and prefer the natural look.
Did I mention it's been raining non-stop. So we have moss growing everywhere ( I thought I even saw some between my toes as I haven't been out much).

Here is a bit of moss growing on the shelf of my outdoor gardening bench.







Moss growing on the rocks in my gardens. I admit I love the effect.
It is even growing at the bottom of the trees. Almost looks like they have slippers on!
And buried beneath a sea of green in the stone wall are colorful tiny violets. I am ever hopeful the sun will visit us next week!

18 comments:

Audrey said...

Denise, I LOVE your shots! I am such a nature girl, and I am in awe of how the world appears differently depending on the weather conditions, etc. You captured the "lushness" of life - I think this is a fantastic example of Celebrating Life!

Natalie said...

I like it too! Loved the little violets peeping up. We call them 'Johnny Jump Ups', do you?xx♥

GingerV said...

beautiful photos, yes even rain, rain and more rain should be celebrated. Houston is under a burn ban, no rain for over 30 days, just roasting in the dry sun, so celebrate your rain. In Friburgo I also want to curl up and hide when it rains for 30 days straight and everything turns brown with mold.... very nice post

A Scattering said...

Your garden is so lovely and rustic looking. I've never seen a climbing hydrangea - will have to see if they're available around here. Have a great weekend.

Cynthia L. H. said...

OH!!! Wonderful! Leave the lichens. :^)
Moss fascinates me. It reminds me of saunters through the forests in New Mexico on vacation!
And the little violets!!!! My favorite! (We call them Johnny Jump-Ups or Pop-Ups, too!)
Actually, I love all the flowers you named...hydrangeas and wisteria, too.
LOVELY post!
Thank you. And thank you for stopping by mine. You have a great holiday, too!

Kerry said...

Ah the rain, the rain, the rain: it does that here in Oregon, too. But now we begin our 3 months of "dry season" and things are lookin' bright. Love your little pansies!

Ellisa said...

Beautiful pictures! I love the bench that way too.

Vitamin B-Lardo said...

I love the last shot!!! How's the moss between your toes coming along?

twolefthands said...

it all looks so healthy and fresh! Gorgeous pictures!

Jen said...

Oh how fresh and beautiful. The bold green is so invigiorating.

I loved that bench...I bet it would look very cool in black and white, too.

Have a lovely weekend!

Linda said...

Johnny Jump Ups are my favourite flowers! I love your pictures. They are so full of life and beautiful green and growing things. Thank you for sharing. Have a wonderful weekend!!!

Hollyrocks said...

What beautiful photos! I too love the look off moss. That's one of my favorite things about taking walks in the forest- it's everywhere!

Denise said...

Yes we also call the tiny pansies Johnny jump ups. The sun came out today and I went to Portland for the First Friday Art walk. Lots of shots for next weeks theme: "Textures". Love this group!

Martha said...

Beautiful photos Denise. Thanks for stopping by this evening and leaving a nice comment even though I didn't play along on the shoot-out this week. Have a wonderful weekend! :-)

Zaroga said...

I love the moss... I love nature :-) I didn't know hydrangea would grow up the side of a tree. A great post, Denise.

Owl Eng said...

Beautiful shots of nature! Wonderful take on celebrating life.

Si's blog said...

Enjoy your garden and your photos. As I said in my post, mosses - and lichens - are remarkable because they have survived evolution for so many millions of years. Celebrate those that survive, either by evolving or by not needing to evolve.

Doreen said...

awesome series of Celebrate Life shots. the beauty and wonder of nature is a great way of celebrating. I am a nature lover also. all of your photos are fantastic!