-->

Friday, July 31, 2009

Outdoor Food - Friday My Town Shootout

This weeks theme of "Outdoor Food" was picked by Girlichef from Indiana. Let's have a quick look around town and nearby....

There are many cafes in Kennebunk and Kennebunkport. The Clam Shack is not a cafe but is literally a "shack" or small primarily seafood eatery, on the bridge that connects Kennebunk to Kennebunkport. There are no tables or area to sit but that doesn't seem to stop people from eating there.
My personal favorite Seafood place is about thirty minutes North at The Lobster Shack.
(I cheated, this photo is from their website).There is a gorgeous ocean view from their bright red picnic tables outside with two Lighthouses nearby.
Here are a few other cafes around town in the Kennebunks:

A very popular place is Mabel's Lobster Claw on Ocean Avenue in Kennebunkport.
This is a new cafe with great sandwiches - Damons.
My personal favorite is to take a sandwich from The Landing Store Deli....
and sit on a stone wall. Here is one of many which dot the local coastline.
The photo below is your view from that particular stone wall. My husband says an added benefit is you can add salt to your sandwiches by holding them up in the air!The photo below is the jetty at what the locals call "The Colony Beach". It is a small public beach across from a hotel called "The Colony" on Ocean Avenue.
Great place for a picnic and a sunset view! Thanks for stopping by!

24 comments:

Barry said...

The more I travel around this weeks Friday Shoot out the hungrier I get. And after looking at your post, I'm positively starving!

gigi said...

I would have loved seeing your lobster bake! This is a beautiful place and I would love to come and visit sometime.

kent.. said...

Looks to me like if you don't like seafood, you shouldn't bother coming to Kennebunk! I'm like Barry, I'm getting hungry now. Thanks for the tour!

Chef E said...

I am coming your way the beginning of October, so we may have to meet at one of those shacks! I am bringing a friend who has never been up there...email if you are interested in a quick meetup...

Sarah said...

Oh I can't tell you how fun that was. I have been there and eaten at a few of those spots.!! Wonderful shots - I especially liked the picnik basket!!
Sarah

Doreen said...

it is so fun to see what everyone has posted. love the shot of the colony. beautiful area!

kate said...

I love Maine and am now starving for seafood...I love that last picture of the picnic basket on the shore.

Rebecca said...

Lobster and clams...oh yummy! Wish it weren't so far away!

Linda said...

When the weather is perfect in Newfoundland, they hang out their laundry and say, "Some day on the clothes, eh?" The fresh sea air dries the clothes, improves the weather and now I learn it flavours the food, as well! I loved your shoot out by the salty sea! Thanks for sharing! Have a great weekend!

GingerV said...

cheating or not this is a great shoot out contribution, I love the sea and the unbrellas. need to go there and eat. gingerv

Cynthia L. H. said...

Wonderful!
Love the views of the ocean and the rocks---very picturesque!
The "Rainbow" Umbrellas over the tables are colorful and inviting!
:^)
Thank you for sharing!
;^)

Carrie said...

Denise - we always like the food from a "shack" better than hoity toity food! I visited Kennebunkport many years ago but I think I'd like to come back and feast on some of those lobster rolls! I love what your husband said about adding salt by holding your sandwich in the air. Cute!

girlichef said...

I love it! Outdoor eating just makes me happy :) Wish I was at an outdoor cafe right now....

Gordon said...

Very enjoyable post! Your husband is a very witty man. He can go fishing with me anytime.

Sarah Lulu said...

Loved the jetty and I want a huge lobster roll!

Jama said...

I want lobster!!! what a beautiful little town you got there.

Hollyrocks said...

I have been so hungry for some seafood lately, and this may have just pushed me over the edge! All of those places look fantastic, and so do the views. Thank you for the gorgeous photos!

Sandy said...

wow, beautiful photos

Ellisa said...

Looks amazing! I really think I'll visit Maine someday, and mostly because of the great place you make it look to be! Beautiful.

Pauline said...

I just love how everyone's take on a topic is different. Yours is "mouth watering" - what a silly expressions. But, honestly, I can taste the salt air on my sandwich!

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

You found some awesome shots! The picnic is my favorite. Yummmm-lobster sure sounds good!

REDLAN said...

I am piscean and I love the beach and the seafoods Denise. Your photos make me crave lobster

Chele said...

I agree with Barry, the more of these posts I see and read the hungrier I get. I'm trying to think of where I can find myself a Lobster Roll. lol

Sandra Leigh said...

Huge lobster rolls? Giant muffins? This is torture. Don't you know I'm trying to lose weight? Sheesh. I just gained five pounds by looking at the pictures.

You do live in a lovely place, though, don't you?