-->

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Thursday Thinking Green - Natural Mosquito Repellent Recipes


Rain, Rain go away.... According to the National Weather Service in Gray, it has been the the fifth-rainiest June on record in the state of Maine. Unfortunately with that much rain emerges the unofficial Maine State bird - the Mosquito. There are approximately 45 different species of mosquitoes in Maine which hatch if water stays on the ground for 7 to 14 days. So before these pests start biting I thought it would be apropos to make a healthy, natural repellent. Here is a recipe I picked up that you might find useful to keep those "buggers" at bay.

Natural Mosquito Repellent

This is for a small batch so you can test it out and see if it works for you.
  • 10-25 drops essential oils
  • 2 tablespoons of a carrier oil or alcohol
The essential oils that work well against mosquitoes are (available at health food stores) :
  • cinnamon oil
  • lemon eucalyptus oil (personal favorite)
  • citronella oil
  • pine
  • rose geranium
Safe carrier oils and alcohols include:
  • olive oil
  • sunflower oil
  • witch hazel
  • vodka
Mix the essential oil with the carrier oil or alcohol. Rub or spray the natural insect repellent onto skin or clothing, using care to avoid the sensitive eye area. You'll need to re-apply the natural product after about an hour or after swimming or exercise. Unused natural insect repellent may be stored in a dark bottle, away from heat or sunlight.

Links:
Natural Mosquito Repellent

9 comments:

PonderandStitch said...

Oh, the mosquitoes around here are SO bad right now. Thanks for posting this!!

Audrey said...

Great post!! I have a friend who sells B&B products on Etsy. She has bug repellent in lotion form, bought some and it works really well and smells nice too. Commercial bug sprays can give me a headache so it was nice to find this lotion.

Natalie said...

I am going to try this! The essences sound divine, thanks, Denise.xx♥

Katie said...

LOL @ Maine State Bird!
I make a bug oil that has rosemary, wormword and rue in it. Works great.

Heidi said...

Have you tried this? I'm curious how potent it is as I am extremely prone to bug bites : )

Hollyrocks said...

I've been looking for a natural bug repellent, but now I'm going to make my own. Especially since it seems to be so simple. Thanks for the info!

Denise said...

Hollyrocks - I have not personally made any yet but I think the trick is to find what works for you. I think it may be something most have to "play" with. I prefer the lemon or rose geranium scents myself. Good Luck!

LeaKarts said...

Thank you so much! I am very tasty to bugs & so is my daughter--she got about 10 mosquito bites camping w/ school the other night. I am exited to try this as an alternative to those nasty chemical sprays!

The Pink Birdhouse said...

Hi Denise, So the mosquitoes are that big that they are considered a state bird. :-) I really need something to laugh about today, thanks for that chuckle. We had been having some great weather here for a while, real summer like, but today it is raining and only 56°. Brrr, that seems more like Oct. then July. I had heard from family back home that NJ was also having lots of rain this year. It seems that we switched weather, my sister was blaming germany of stealing NJ's nice weather and replacing it with their own! Don't give me any ideas. :-) Anyway, just wanted to stop by and say hi and see what was new with you. I like that repellent idea, have heard of it over here before. I will copy your "recipe" for it and keep it though. how do you come up with this great stuff!! hope all is well. Debby