-->

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Tuesday Tip - Hummingbird Nectar Recipe

Hummingbird Nectar Recipe
  1. Mix 1 part sugar with 4 parts water and bring to a boil to kill any bacteria.
  2. Cool and fill clean feeder. You can store excess in the refrigerator.
  3. Red food coloring, artificial sweeteners or honey should not be added.
  4. According to the National Audubon Society, you should clean your feeder about once a week. You can clean your feeder by rinsing with one part white vinegar to four parts water. If the feeder has dirt present you can add a few grains of rice or similar grains to the vinegar solution and swirl around. After the vinegar wash you need to rinse several times with clear, warm water. You can then refill with a fresh batch of nectar.

Links:
  • Site to find some supplies for making your own feeders - Supplies
Hummingbird Nest photo is by Travis Hornung




7 comments:

Si's blog said...

Saw one in our lavender a couple of days ago as I was getting up from my front-porch-afternoon-nap-on-the-swing. Prompted me to get a really pretty feeder and put it up. No takers yet but know they will come. They are truly spectacular. Keep looking out the window to see.

**WE BLOG ARTISTS** said...

Thanks for sharing...such a beautiful image and that nest is just perfect!
Our World amazes me everyday!
Char.

Ophelia Miller Boutique said...

Beautiful pictures...I love hummingbirds!!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Little Dickens Designs said...

Good advice!

nomadcraftsetc said...

ooooooh! We have a TON of humming birds around here, this will be of great use, I wrote it down and am on my way to the store! Thanks so much for sharing!

Nicomi "Nix" Turner said...

Wow! Those eggs look perfect!

Doreen said...

this is just perfect and at the right time. I just came home from the lake where I have a hummingbird feeder. but I wasn't seeing any birds come to it. I think you may have helped!!