-->

Friday, August 7, 2009

Friday My Hometown Shootout - Where Do You Get Your Power?

Today's assignment was chosen by J9 of California and has quite a bit of room for interpretation - "Where Do You Get Your Power?" Is it electric, hydroelectric, solar, wind, natural gas? The things that power our towns or it could be things that empower you personally, or places to go to regroup, regenerate your own personal power.”

Being the metaphysical person that I am, I chose to travel a personal path....to my favorite place of rejuvenation..the shore.
I absolutely adore the sea. I find that it imparts inspirational power and energy like nothing else in my life. I feel so alive while walking the shoreline, winding down the rocky paths or while simply sitting quietly on the rocks contemplating life. It is where I do feel most complete and connected. I've even asked my family that it be my final resting place whenever that time may come.

The above series of three photos is a wonderful place only known by the locals called "Blowing Cave". It is a place I would visit often during my sometimes turbulent High School years. It was a quiet place where I would sit and write poetry. Unfortunately, it is a very busy place now as it sits across from "Walkers Point", presently the summer home of George (& Barbara) Walker Bush. When I was growing up it used to be Mrs. Walker's home and George Senior lived across the street with his family in their own summer home.

Blowing Cave is an actual cave in the rocks and when the tide is high, the water rushes into the cave and blows sea-spray, showering everything around it. Quite a "powerful" sight.

Don't forget to click on the camera on the right hand side of my blog and visit the rest of the Friday Shoot Out Gang!

25 comments:

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I like what powers you Denise. The ocean has lots of power for sure!

Simply Heather said...

I soak in the calm and wash out the chaos by the water. I find myself drawn to it and many of my photos are of the water's edge...looking from my stand point. I don't share as many of these photos as I take, because I think friends would tire of them but I never tire of them.

Happy Friday :)

~JarieLyn~ said...

These are wonderful photos and a wonderful take on the power theme. The sea is mighty powerful isn't it. I liked reading about the history of blowing cave. Very interesting.

Patty said...

You sound like me. Nothing more powerful than the ocean. Beautiful photos.

REDLAN said...

I love the sea too. Not to mention watching the sunset on. Natural power is what you shared. Thanks for the beautiful photos and the story behind it

Kerri said...

I can relate to the awesome power of water. Whether I'm swimming in my local pool, boating at the lake, or on holidays to the ocean - the power and the calm mixed together are always so balancing. Great shots.

kate said...

Beautiful shots of the Blowing Cave! I'm so jealous that we don't have anything like that around here.

Sarah said...

I'm with you!! Looove the water..posted a couple of water shots myself. Yours are so much more though..I feel the same way at the ocean..miss it!!! Great work!!
Sarah

J9 said...

I agree that the power of the ocean to renew and ground me is immense! I miss not living near the shore, and travel there when I need a boost. I also really loved your third shot, the shadows and lighting and the anticipation of the crash of the wave - very nice shot!

Jen said...

Love the water - you have some really beautiful photos here.

:)

Ellisa said...

Love the pictures of the crashing waves. Thank you for sharing this week. ♥

gigi said...

I'm with ya on loving the sea! Also one of my favorite places to be :)

Kathy in CA said...

Wonderful shots of the sea... looks lovely!

Sherri said...

Very good post. Water is at once calming and significant for it's vast power. Blowing Cave is a place I'd love to visit.

Sarah Lulu said...

Beautiful ...and I too feel the power of the ocean and it rejuvenates me when I can get there.

You live in Maine. I've always thought it looked very beautiful ever since the tv series hmmmmm trying to remember what it was called...

I remembered ...MURDER SHE WROTE....

Nice getting to know you up there.

Sarah Lulu

Linda said...

The power of the oceans........ awesome and mighty! Your pictures are unbelievably beautiful. Nice shoot! have a wonderful week!

Chef E said...

Not sure if I told you I got the idea for the 'camera' connection from you! Lots of power for me here too!

Si's blog said...

There is something about the ocean. It has a power all its own.

Great photos.

Mary said...

So beautiful. I could relax there. Water in abundance is a rarity here.

Hollyrocks said...

My goodness, that IS powerful! What an amazing place. I can almost smell the ocean air. I need to visit the beach in a very bad way. Thanks for giving us a little taste!

Melissa said...

wow, very beautiful!

Ann said...

You chose a great angle for this challenge. I like the sea. You photos are you say are very juvenating. We call the blow caves here blow holes.

Married to an water engineer, we go to the beach a lot, even in Winter.

Cheers, Ann:)

Doreen said...

beautiful beautiful area you live. awesome post!

Pauline said...

Love your ocean shots and share your love of the sea. Such a raw, elemental power! Beautiful!

Carrie said...

Blowing Cave sounds like a great spot and looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing about a local favorite with all of us tourists!