-->

Friday, August 14, 2009

Friday My Town Shootout ~ Relaxation

This weeks Friday My Town Shootout Photo assignment is from Lena of Spirit of Lena (SOL) who suggests the topic Relaxation - "My idea for relaxation was anything or place that fill people with a sense of calmness or relaxation, like a favorite garden, sitting on the porch, or park, etc. Anyplace that fills you with a sense of happiness and calm."

So here we are in my hometown....specifically in my backyard....
Here is a photo of an overview of where my family likes to relax. We have a large piece of property with many trees and a field. We enclosed part of the yard with a picket fence to contain our two Shelties. The hammock is everyones favorite!













For a relaxing meal outdoors we sit at this table by the overgrown herb garden ;) We also enjoy the cool Maine August nights lighting the fire-pit and eating...you guessed it - smores.I really enjoy soothing sounds and someday would like a lovely fountain in the garden. For now I enjoy windchimes and this set hangs from my deck off the master bedroom on the second floor.
The deck is much too hot for me in the daytime but I enjoy the evening looking at the stars.
I try to start each day with meditation and prayer. It focuses & centers me, usually allowing me to be more creative (and patient). Most days I take a 15 minute nap at 3:00. My R&R - relaxation and refreshment! I love my large king size bed, (my husband not so much. He prefers a full as he likes to snuggle).
I mentioned I like to relax with soothing sounds. I had trouble sleeping last year and my husband bought me this CD. It is just the sound of the ocean lapping the shore - ever sooooo relaxing. It helped tremendously. Of course I had to include a photo of the surf at Kennebunk Beach. My most relaxing place to be!

26 comments:

Simply Heather said...

I like my king size bed too :)

Great refreshment in your photos.

Kerri said...

Great shots. The hammock looks especially relaxing - especially if you could combine it with the sounds of the lapping ocean.

Doreen said...

you have a very relaxing and beautiful back yard. you are very lucky. love the meditation shot. I have been sleeping like crap lately, I think I could use the ocean waves CD. I am sure that would put me to sleep. great idea! Wonderful shoot out Denise.

Rebecca said...

Great...love to take a nap in the afternoon too.

Sarah said...

Ok so I am relaxed just looking. I dragged my hubby over and said....Ok see that yard - tht is what I want too!!
I almost took a pic of my Buddha too. Beautiful shots hon!!!
Namaste, Sarah

Sara Williams said...

Great pictures and ways to relax. I love your bed, king size sounds great to me (our house is too small sadly) and wind chimes, I have a selection hanging from my pegola x

REDLAN said...

So relaxing place. I feel sleepy while looking your photos. So cozy and comfortable. Thanks for showing.

Jen said...

beautiful - hammock, ocean, wind chime - you have a perfect backyard!

sciencegirl said...

What a wonderfully inviting yard. Those white chairs just call out to be relaxed in :-)

Chef E said...

Does not matter what size bed, as long as we can snuggle too! I should have posted my fan; which is my relaxing sound, but hubby hates :)

Love the garden, and we always loved hammocks! You would find me asleep with a book across my chest...nice!

Zaroga said...

What a lovely place you have to relax in. Great photos!

Have a great weekend!

~JarieLyn~ said...

Your yard is so beautiful. Who wouldn't feel relaxed there? I'm envious. I also like lots of room in my bed. Great photos. I really like your relaxation theme.

Butler and Bagman said...

Great shoot. Looks like you really know how to relax. We once had a hammock. When I bought it, I imagined myself lying in it. But most of the time I was moving it around so I could mow the grass under it.

Hollyrocks said...

I love your backyard, and the rest of your home too (at least what I've seen so far) for that matter. Everything is so calm and serene. I love that you start your day off with a mix of prayer and meditation, I really admire that. I try, but often fall short.

Linda said...

How relaxed are you? This is a beautiful place where you are living, complete with whispering pines, lapping waves and meditation. A very beautiful shoot Denise. Have a peaceful weekend. Enjoy the surf.

Sarah Lulu said...

What a lovely lovely garden...
you are very blessed.

Pauline said...

Oh yes, I could so relax in your garden. I know beautiful gardens don't just 'happen' so am sure you deserve the relaxation it brings you. Love the sound of chimes, too!
Love shoot out!

Lenore said...

Lovely, lovely back yard....a pleasure to view!!

Carrie said...

What a sanctuary you have in your backyard - it is beautiful! I wish I had such a wonderful place to relax at home.

Sandra Leigh said...

I've been looking for a CD like that - one without music.Much as I love music, I find the sound of surf the most relaxing sound in the world.

Melissa said...

very pretty. that beach and that ned sure look relaxing

Natalie said...

All I will say Denise is.....AAAHHHH!

J9 said...

I now have added Kennebunk as a place I'd like to visit! What a great series of photos, but I liked the beach shot the best.

Ellisa said...

I'll relax with you ANYTIME! Great pics.

Scriptor Senex said...

Now that was relaxing. I love CDs with soothing nature sounds as well. I love the Buddha - Jo has one in the garden by where she sits to relax.

Gordon said...

I could definately enjoy a cool relaxing drink with friends in the herb garden. I enjoyed the tour.