-->

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Go Paperless - Thursday Thinking Green

I have been paying my bills on-line now for many years. What I never realized was how healthy it was for the environment. Here are a few statistics I found on the internet that should make you consider giving up the monthly check writing.
  • It generally takes 15 minutes a month for people to pay their bills on-line whereas it typically takes 2 hours for those who pay by check.
  • A majority of identity theft cases results from personal information obtained from checks, billing statements and bank statements.
  • Based on an average of 20 bills and statements per household, it is estimated that the average household annually spends up to $150 on postage stamps, checks, late fees and fuel costs.
  • By simply receiving and paying your many bills electronically , you can save 2 square foot of forest, 15 miles of gas, and 15 pounds of greenhouse gases. This is just one bill! Imagine if you paid all your bills on-line.
Links:
How Do I Set Up Online Bill Pay?
How to Pay Your Bills Online
For a complete list of Thursday Thinking Green bloggers click on the icon below:

7 comments:

Tins and Treasures said...

Such good advice...we have only a few online but should get the rest converted over...

Thanks for the links too. ~Natalie

Gaston Studio said...

When I first repatriated back to the States, I set up an online account and refuse to deal with anything else. I love that I can download statements, have the bank pay my bills, even send "paper checks" to those who don't use electronic transfers. Everyone should be doing this Denise, everyone.

Si's blog said...

And the programs are a great help in staying organized. It is much better.

Jessica C. said...

I'd be paperless if my town would come out of the Stone Age. They just got around to getting up the nerve to let you pay your land and car taxes online through Paypal. My county is so far behind...

ennadoolf said...

It was a weekend spent with a shredder that caused me to change my ways! I'm not totally switched over, but I'm working on it. Great post.

BailiwickDesigns said...

Great post! I pay about half my bills online - it's probably time I do the rest online too!

nomadcraftsetc said...

This is awesome! We have it set up where we pay all of our bills 6 months in advance(we save ALOT!) and we only sit down every 6 months to pay bills the old fashioned way(with money orders and stamps and envelopes). I am always hesitate to pay online for security issues but your article has got me thinking! Great writing!