-->

Monday, August 3, 2009

My Garden - Monday Musings

Getting the ground ready, early Spring. June was very rainy - 25 days out of 30! July has been a bit sunnier, but still very wet. The garden did not fare well. The spinach and lettuce, which tend to be cooler weather veggies, didn't really grow much at all. Apparently bees don't visit gardens in the rain so the squash and other flowering veggies have had a very late start. They are just beginning to flower at the end of July!
August is here! I am hopeful it will be a warm and sunny month and the growing season will be extended into the Fall.

The Gardener's Morning
The robin's song at daybreak
Is a clarion call to me. Get up and get out in the garden,
For the morning hours flee.

I cannot resist the summons,
What earnest gardener could?
For the golden hours of morning
Get into the gardener's blood.

The magic spell is upon me,
I'm glad that I did not wait;
For life's at its best in the morning,
As you pass through the garden gate.
- Howard Dolf

3 comments:

Vitamin B-Lardo said...

I want to build planting boxes so bad. I am already trying to think of how to do things next season. I've neglected my yard and my garden longing for 6 years now.

BailiwickDesigns said...

Here's wishing you a sunny August for your garden! ::Jill

Hollyrocks said...

Wow, your garden looks great! I hope you get a huge harvest this year. But even if all the rain keeps that from happening, at least it's gorgeous to look at. :-)