-->

Friday, October 23, 2009

Friday My Hometown Shootout - Classics of Childhood

This week's Team Photo theme is "Classics of Childhood" chosen by Ellisa of the blog- "A Thousand Words". I have all sorts of wonderful memories of my sons childhood but unfortunately we didn't go digital until they were much older. ( IMO scanning photos just isn't the same- but as you can see above, I gave in). The photo above and the image below depicts a game we always played whenever we walked across a bridge - Pooh Sticks. All participants drop sticks into a river from one side of a bridge to see whose stick emerges first on the other (different sized sticks so you know who's who). If you click on the above photo you can see the intensity in my younger son Evan's expression. They both took this game quite seriously. Okay - it's silly but one of those totally, heartwarming memories this Mom cherishes and reflects on whenever crossing a bridge!
Thank you for visiting my hometown shoot out blog - remember to check out the other member blogs by clicking on the links posted in the left hand column of the Friday My Town Shootout Blog .

19 comments:

NanU said...

that's so fun. I want to go out and play Pooh Sticks right now.

Gordon said...

We used to jump off the bridge and see who could be first swim to the other side. We never had Pooh Bear with us, though.

Linda said...

This picture has sad memories for me but it is a remarkable childhood picture. I do love it. Pooh sticks
is such a fun game. We used to use leaves when we had no sticks. Thanks for sharing, Denise!

~JarieLyn~ said...

What a wonderful memory. Using the imagination to play games is so much more fun.

I like your "stolen" photo too. :)

Bagman and Butler said...

Stickboat racing on rivers! I had forgotten that ! I used to do it too and it was a ball...although being boys we added to the rules by throwing stones and things to stop each others "boats".

Doreen said...

that sounds like a fun game to play! thanks for sharing with us. have a great weekend!!

Rebecca said...

OH I love Pooh! I love simplicity like Pooh Sticks. If only life could be so 'classic' all the time.

Carrie said...

I love your tradition and I love Winnie the Pooh. Not a silly game at all! About a month ago my 9 year old son wanted to watch a Winnie the Pooh video - I was so excited! I had saved the videos but didn't think they'd get watched again by my kids. I watched it with him and loved it!

Pauline said...

I remember racing sticks and leaves down the creek on my grandparents farm. Such fun! And your stolen Pooh pic is adorable.

kent.. said...

Pooh sticks is from the original Winnie the Pooh book. I used to read that to my kids at night. What great stories, just long enough to settle everyone down to sleep. And yes we played pooh sticks too! Many times! Thanks for stirring up memories!

Sarah Lulu said...

Pooh Sticks sounds like such a sweet game.

Kerry said...

Pooh, Christopher Robin and all of the other characters are sweet childhood memories for me! Thanks for reminding me!

Jama said...

We used to do it with paper boat!

Scriptor Senex said...

One of the greatest games known to man. I wonder how many thousands of years the human race has been playing it? A great choice.

Ellisa said...

what a great memory!! Something I'll have to share with my boys. Thank you!

SOL said...

Sometimes, these types of things make the greatest memories! What a great gift to give to your children.

Jen said...

Awwwwww!

So sweet!

J9 said...

That's a great memory!

moving on said...

Sorry Denise if it's too late for me to post a comment here. My internet connection was so slow and from to time the connection cut off.

I can see how your children took the play seriously. I can see it on their facial expression. That's a great classic childhood memories of them. Thanks for sharing!