-->

Friday, October 2, 2009

Friday My Town Photo Shoot Out - A Building Study in Kennebunkport

This weeks theme was chosen by Town Blogger Team. The assignment was to create a photo study of a building in your hometown. I will admit I am not great at photographing buildings as I am sure there are special techniques to capture the architectural detail. Nonetheless, I do love buildings and New England architecture so here are my shots of a wonderful building in Kennebunkport! (Click on photos to enlarge to see the detail).I have always loved this building. It historically served as "the Arundel Grange Hall" for many years, a place where farmers would gather. In the 1990's it became the Heartwood College of Art (which has since moved to Kennebunk). While renovating the outside of the building, the owner added some very creative decorative elements. The technique is called "Trompe-l'oeil " and is French for "trick of the eye" ( from "tromper" - to deceive and "l'oeil" - the eye). I have often fantasized about purchasing the building and converting it into an Art & Antiques mall of sorts. Unfortunately, the price tag, over one million dollars, is a bit prohibitive for my budget. Anyone interested? We can always dream!





Thank you for visiting my hometown shoot out - remember to check out the other member blogs for a glimpse of their hometowns from around the world. Click on their blog links posted in the left hand column of the Friday My Town Shootout Blog .

26 comments:

Gaston Studio said...

Love the building Denise, and love the trompe l'oeil although that wouldn't be allowed in my historic district. It would make a fabulous arts and antiques mall; keep on dreaming!

Rebecca said...

How incredibly interesting. I never saw that done before. Thanks so much for sharing that as well as the history. Even if we split the price tag...it is still out of my budget! But the art and antique store sounds great.

GingerV said...

wonderful old buiding - i had to have Camillo come and look at the design on that clapboard siding. If we all paid a dollar could we buy it!

Sarah Lulu said...

The trompe l'oeil is so so clever!

Doreen said...

I have never seen anything like that before either. it is very unique and love the look. have a wonderful weekend!

Simply Heather said...

This is such a unique house/building! I REALLY like the little door made into the siding...what a wonderful imagination, and the work to do such a thing.

Glad you shared this.

I can't believe it's THAT much money...ouch, but I wonder how it's made inside; holding such wonderful character on the outside.

~JarieLyn~ said...

The building is definitely unique. It's very creative. The trompe l'oeil gives it a 3D effect. It's very pretty and I can see an art and atique store fitting very nicely with this building. Keep on envisioning. Who knows, you just might dream it into reality one day.

Gordon said...

What a well maintained building. Beautiful photos. Thank you for the enjoyable tour.

kate said...

How cool! That eye trick is something else...I had to look twice on a couple of those pannels of siding.

Barry said...

If I had a million dollars, I'd be rich. If I had two million, I wouldn't mind putting one toward the purchase of this fascinating old building!

Sherri said...

Great submission to this shoot out. Love the building.

Pauline said...

How unique - that's something I've never seen before! Very clever and effective! Thanks for sharing your fab building.

Mary said...

Very good. I would have missed all that.

Linda said...

What a fascinating building Denise! From a distance it looks plain with very few highlights to focus on. Move in a little closer and the we find out the building has all kinds of interesting looking nooks and crannies. Brilliantly photographed. I enjoyed the tour.

Scriptor Senex said...

Nice choice, Denise. Love the 'doorway' between the windows.

Bagman and Butler said...

Every shot sings out, "Maine."

Carrie said...

WOW! As usual, I love your shoot-out. I cannot imagine the time and hard work that went into that trompe l'oeil. I've never seen anything like it. Thanks for sharing!

A Scattering said...

The trompe-l'oeil is amazing, I've never seen it executed quite like that before. Great job on the photos.

GigiSxm said...

how cool!

Jen said...

Wow, I can see why love it, it is very cool! I have never seen anything like that before. How creative.

Great shoot out!

J9 said...

Love the painting on the exterior - makes me want to see it up close - very well done!

Patty said...

Those French. They are so creative. My eye went right to that little door - had to blow it up right away. Very cool.

Seeing the house, even without the little door, makes me want to move to Maine. Actually, Maine has always been my dream state to live in but where I want to live...well, I would have to win the lottery first. Hey, it could happen!

Ellisa said...

beautiful!! I've never seen anything like that. thank you for sharing it with us.

Patty said...

Oh, I got so caught up in the door that I forgot to say that I think you did a lovely job photographing the house.

Kerry said...

I've never seen a trompe l'oeil that wasn't a panting! How cool. Don't blame you for dreaming about owning this place!

kent.. said...

Nice choice for the shoot-out. I don't know that I'd want that on the siding of my house, but it's pretty cool on your new house. Just a million eh?? write them a check!