-->

Monday, November 9, 2009

Monday Musings - Just a Doodler in La La Land

When I was young (ok, maybe I still do this) , I would day dream while talking on the phone or during classes, writing in the margins of my notebooks. My friends would say I was visiting la-la land with my happy and colorful flowers, hearts and smiling faces. A recent study by Professor Jackie Andrade of the School of Psychology at the University of Plymouth, shows that people given a doodling task while listening to a phone message remembered 29% more information than non doodlers. Doodling seems to allow the brain to relax and achieve emotional balance thereby possibly aiding in memory retention. So I say - doodle away! La-la land is a lovely happy place!

(Image found on Google)

6 comments:

Gaston Studio said...

Are these some of your doodles Derrick? If so, they're wonderful flowers! My doodling usually consists of filling in the words I've written down with lines and dots; yours is much more creative!

Holly said...

I heard about that study too, and it was comforting to me because I was always a doodler too. When I've got my own classroom, I think I'll allow students to doodle all they want. :-)

Denise said...

Good Monday Morning! No these are not my doodles. they are so whimsical though aren't they. I often draw geometric shapes, silly hearts, flowers, etc. thought it was an interesting study!

Bridget said...

I read part of that study too...yea for me, I'm a life long doodler....I doodle mostly flowers, palm trees & fish.

Pauline said...

Your la-la land is my "away with the fairies". My doodles are nowhere near as artistic as yours, my flowers and trees are very simple.

Scriptor Senex said...

A while ago I diod a posting about my own doodles. I agree with you - keep on doodling.