-->

Thursday, October 18, 2012

My French Heritage ~


I love the stylized flower of the Fleur de lis. The above image is one I found on the internet several years back. I hope to have this as a small tattoo. I simply have to figure out where to place it... on my body-lower leg? inside lower arm near my wrist?
Mortagne, France countryside by John Sullivan (via Canned Cumulus)
The Fleur de lis has come to represent the symbol of French culture and historically was brought to New France when it was first settled. Two of my ancestors were of the original 13 settlers of Quebec. Jean Guyon, a Master Mason and surveyor, left Mortagne (Perche), France in 1634 with his son for a new life in "Nouvelle France". The rest of his large family joined him a few years later in 1636. I have visited the old city of Quebec several times and try to imagine what it was like for them viewing this land for the first time. (vintage image of Quebec is below).
Someday I would like to visit the Perche region of France located 100 miles West of Paris (in the Normandy province). My son recently visited and took many photos of the buildings that still stand today that my ancestor - Jean Guyon constructed (church photo below). It is a small area the size of Rhode Island consisting of rolling farmland with some beautiful forests, rivers and streams.
 Church by Canned Cumulus
Tourouvre farmhouse by Canned Cumulus
I am hoping to visit France in the next year so if you know of great places to visit-please feel free to share in the comments section.

No comments: