-->

Monday, September 23, 2013

Monday Musings:

“I am following Nature without being able to grasp her...I perhaps owe having become a painter to flowers.” Claude Monet

The Museum of Fine Arts (MFA) in Boston is an hour and half south of my hometown. It has one of the finest collections of Claude Monet's Art. The City of Boston's commitment to Monet as an artist is well established.

In 1911, it was the first American museum which sponsored an exhibition of Monet's work during his lifetime. In 1927, only months after his death, the MFA paid tribute to Monet's memory with a major retrospective of his paintings. It was the first and most important commemorative event held in the artist's honor anywhere in the world. Perhaps then, being a "Yankee" and of French decent, the love of Monet is in my blood. I was fortunate to see a Monet exhibit at the MFA in 1998 entitled "Monet in the 20th Century". It was thrilling for me to see his work up close and personal, being able to step back and "see" his perspective. In my opinion, there truly is no other artist that quite captures the essence of nature, color and light as he did. That said, I share with you a YouTube video narrated by a little girl named Emma. Young Emma reports on the life and work of Claude Monet. The video includes many of Monet's paintings accompanied by music. It is a longer video (10 minutes) but I love the unique style and sweet approach that Emma imbues. It is also a great video to share with your children as an introduction to Monet!

No comments: