Sautéed Cherries with Vanilla Ice Cream
- 2 pounds dark red cherries, pitted
- 11 T unsalted butter
- 6 T Strawberry, Raspberry or red current jelly
- 1 1/2 pints vanilla ice cream
- Put butter, in a large skillet, melt the butter and turn heat to medium-high. When butter just starts to brown lightly, add cherries, stir to coat with butter, and saute for 7-8 minutes, until the cherries begin to soften. Add the jelly and 1 1/2 cups of water, stir to combine, then cook until the mixture comes to a boil. Remove pan from heat and let cool slightly. Transfer to bowl and place a scoop of vanilla ice cream in center of each dessert bowl. Spoon the warm cherry mixture on top and serve immediately.
- Cook until cherries begin to break down, again just a minute or two. Taste and add more sugar if you like. Remove from heat.
- To serve, spoon ice cream into 4 dishes, and top with cherries. Cherries may be served hot, warm or at room temperature.